Grandma's Popcorn Balls - Happy Halloween

I've been thinking about my grandma all day she loved Halloween & she loved making these on Halloween.  She has been making these for as long as I remember for Christmas & Halloween, lots of them for Halloween!!  In their big ole house they moved to in Shabbona, Ill. when I was about 7 they had a long breeze way between the garage & house, grandma loved to decorate it & dress up as a scary witch on Halloween & sit in her rocking chair.  She would just sit there and rock and the kids would come in to Trick or Treat.  I think she scared some of them but she was known for her popcorn balls and it was always worth risking it for one of them.  She is in a nursing home now in Wisconsin, 94 years young, wish I could take her one tonight.........

I never knew where the recipe came from until a few years back when we moved them to Wisconsin to be close to my Uncle and I was helping unpack things. I found the original clipping from a 1968 Chicago Tribune.

7 to 8 quarts popped popcorn  ( I prefer white, I think the color is brighter on it but it could be my imagination.)  This is about 1 1/2 to 2 cups unpopped.
1 pkg. flavor Jello ( we use orange for Halloween, Red and/or green for Christmas)
1 c. sugar
1 c. light Karo syrup
food coloring optional

Pop your popcorn in an oil popper or a good pan on the stove. Air popped or microwave tends to be to soggy. Yuck! Grandpa always popped it over the stove for grandma, daddy for my mom but the tradition stopped there the cowboy was no help in the popping department! LOL Here is my beat up old thin pan it does a great job since someone broke my popper......


I usually divide the popping batches into 3 or 4 times.  I put it in a large bowl and sort out the kernels that did not pop and place popcorn into a large metal pan.  Mom says it HAS to be metal!! I asked why & she said it just does!!  Don't argue with momma.  So I used the big pan grandma always used, yep I have that too!  Make sure you get all the loose kernel out.


Now get out some margarine to grease up your hands to form the balls and something to put them on after you make them.  It will be hot and you will have to re-grease your hands after every other popcorn ball.  Now pour the Jello, sugar & corn syrup into a non-stick pan and heat until boiling stirring frequently.  You can add food coloring at this point if you wish to make color darker. Stir in quickly.


When it has come to a full boil remove from heat & have someone help you pour it over the popcorn.  The cowboy did help with this!  He poured very slowly as I turned the pan and stirred to coat the popcorn. 


 As soon as it is all stirred in grease your hands with the margarine and start forming into balls.  Leave on cookie sheet or tray until completely cooled then place each in a baggie.  It is cute to tie with colored ribbon if you are giving these as gifts or making for a children's party.  Enjoy!


Comments

  1. We pop ours on the stove all the time. Its so neat to have family recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts