Good for the Soul................. Comfort Food!

It's what is good for the soul, the heart, makes you feel loved or just good for the tummy on a cold and cloudy day.  Comfort food!!  I love almost all foods, almost all veggies and being a ranch girl I love my beef.  However, I was in the mood for some Yard Bird as the cowboy would call it!  A good ole pot of Chicken and Dumplings, but not just any Chicken and Dumplings because I DO  live in New Mexico and I am the Queen of all things Green Chili!!! Green Chili Chicken and Dumplings........


Bring 1 small to medium chicken to a boil then simmer until done, about 1 hr.  You can use chicken breasts, 4 large or 6 small should do.  After the chicken is done remove and let cool then shred.  I salt & pepper the meat after shredding.  I am fond of sea salt or kosher & chefs pepper.  Use your preference.



Run the broth through a good strainer & get out all the lil floaters and fat.  Then add 1 can of chicken broth, one can of cream of chicken soup, onions & garlic or you can use the onion & garlic bullion.  If you are a lover of cilantro you can use it.  Just keep in mind the 2 main flavors desired are the chicken & green chili so don't overdue the garlic or onion.


When I am cooking soups, stews & casseroles I don't worry about name brands, cheap is good.  I love these Knorr cubes to flavor stuff!!  They are cheap and I usually find more flavors in our Mexican food section.

I then add 2 to 3 cups of chopped green chili.  I prefer mild with lots of flavor for this.  Bring this back to a good boil.  Then add the chicken back.  Now time for the dumplings.  You can use any dumpling recipe you prefer.  I have been using 2 1/4 cups of bisquick mixed with 2/3 cup of milk & I add some more chopped green chili to this, about another cup.   I turn the heat back up a notch and start dropping by a real tea teaspoon, I like my dumplings small & cook them for a good 10 mins.  If your dumplings are done, then it is ready to serve.   I have to say this usually tastes better the next day.  Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!!


p.s.  I often like to add and lil bit of shredded cheese to my bowl!  And to change up the left overs I may add some corn or black beans the 2nd day!!

Comments

Popular Posts